So, as I have stated before I am a magazine junkie. Mostly because I swear I should be famous for something, or I should have a friend who is. But alas, I'm not famous and neither are my friends so I must pretend. For over a year now, I have added People's Style Watch magazine to my rotation. It doesn't come out every week, so it's only like a monthly thing. Anyways, anything that I say here on this blog will more then likely come from there, so that's a really nice source of information. At the very least, it can guide you into the right direction. I honestly think fashion is still hugely based around your personal style. I don't like all the new Spring "Must Haves", So I'll just adjust it to what I like. As long as your not wearing acid wash mom jeans with the pockets starting at your hips, and KEDS there's still hope. If those are a staple in your closet, this probably isn't going to help you much.
1. BRIGHT colors - Think orange, pink, blue, green. Try dresses, skirts (long & mid length), tops & accessories. They suggest even to mix the colors. Think pink top, with orange pants/skirt. Or mixing purple with green & blue. Also maybe a pink dress, with bright blue shoes. Coloring blocking is very of the moment.
2. Thick heels - When I told my Mother this news this weekend while we were shopping she was very quick to say "Good thing I bought those Jessica Simpson shoes you told me NOT to buy, Huh?" Yes, Mother. For myself, I'm not a thick heel fan unless it's a wedge. If you on the other hand are, ROCK'EM this season.
3. Colorful Stripes - Thick stripes, thin stripes, vertical, horizontal, v-shaped. If it's striped and cute, totally go for it!!
4. Envelope Bags - Think a little purse shaped like an envelope, with a chain or thin strap. I must have the biggest purse available, but I think they are super cute & stylish.
5. Sleeveless Jackets - the latest tailored piece is ultra-versatile this season. Wear it casual with a tank and jeans, or take it up a notch with skinny pants or a floaty dress. I'm really into this look for some reason. Jeans, tank top, heels/flats, big sunglasses & a floppy bag .. YES PLEASE! Make sure your top is slightly longer then your jacket, unless your jacket V's in the front. if you wanna add a hint of feminine to the outfit, find jackets that have a hint of a sleeve. Delicious look!
6. Sexy Snakeskin - Whether the real deal, or a print, this exotic looking texture is everywhere and here to stay. Try silky tops, hot heels, bags and belts. I dig this look, and actually bought a belt & sandals with the print this weekend. Snake skin screams sassy, and I absolutely love all the shoes out right now that are snake skin. If you're not sure if the look is you, maybe try some flip-flops to get a feel for it. If you like it, add a few small pieces.
7. Modern White - let's face it, this is pretty easy. Celebs are trading in their LBD's (little black dresses) for LWD's. Pair the outfit with a bright heel and or bag or snake skin.
8. Peasant Tops - Hallelujah!!! Peasant tops will work with any figure. They hide everything we don't want people to see. I bought 2 this weekend!! You can belt the longer ones, or buy some with the elastic on the bottoms to help give you a waist. The ones I found this weekend were from Old Navy. I had boycotted Old Navy because I felt all their stuff looked the same, so I was pleasantly surprised to see some really cute tops for $10-$12. They have everything from bright solids, to flowers. My Mom said "That's kinda loud, don't you think?" but I didn't care. I'm in love with the pattern, kinda hippie like ;) Anyways, buy at will and enjoy the room!
9. Bright Gold - bracelets or necklaces, dramatic pieces are a key accent piece - and they go with everything. I scored a really cute Jessica Simpson statement necklace at Dillards this weekend. Regular $60, but I got it for $16. They have 70%-80% off some of their jewelry in the stores. As you can see I really LOVE Jessica Simpson's stuff. Her line is always fresh and reasonable. I started with her purses, and then moved to shoes and now her jewelry. She has now added clothing to her line, but I have yet to buy anything. Alright, back to gold. I also bought some gold snake skin wedges for $26. So don't limit the gold to just jewelry. Think chains, links & coins. Gaudy is okay at the moment, so have fun with it.
10. Flirty Florals - The always pretty pattern is vintage inspired this season in dresses, skirts & tops. May I suggest killing two birds by buying a flirty floral peasant top ;)
**Channel 13 has a show called Mirror Mirror. They film locally, so any shop they show is in Houston. They cover shopping, styles, deals, make-up, hair. You name, they go over. It's 30 minutes, and usually on after the news on Sundays. Set your DVR's if you're interested.